Welcome to SpanThatWorld.com! The online home of the District Fellows Movement, the 16-20 age group of the cooperative children and young people's charity The Woodcraft Folk.
Winter Wonderland Needs Coordinators
It’s that time of year again. The middle of summer. Lazy days of chilling out, sunbathing, relaxing, possibly playing boules or croquet. Later, you might even go for a walk to the stream.
You could be (and therefore should be) thinking about Winter Wonderland, the absolute best thing that could happen between christmas and new year for DFs, and it needs your help. Last years’ WW was slightly disappointing, so few people turned up and we had to keep all the jelly and ice cream for ourselves (this is the royal “we”, and also the royal “jelly and ice cream”). To avoid that happening this year, why not get started good and early, before even DF camp has happened.
What DFs needs from you:
To make this awesome event happen requires a dedicated team of people, and the sooner those people start the less dense their workload. You don’t have to all be DFs, what a good way to get your other friends brought into DFs in a way which will immediately make everyone else very grateful to them (but they would have to become a member between now and then to be allowed to come, a small price to pay). You need to be able to meet up regularly to discuss the camp, so think about people who live near or that you see often.
The Coordination team will need:
- 2 Coordinators, in charge of all the admin, finding most things and making sure everyone else is doing there job.
- 2 KPs (Keeper of the Provinder, or Kitchen Person) who choose the recipes and oversee all the cooking.
- A Folk Marshal, who makes sure all the awesome workshops, activities and evening program happen, and what they will be.
- A Keeper of the Environment, to make sure that we damage the site and environs as little as possible through recycling, waste and hugs.
(These are rough numbers, you could have greater or fewer numbers but you might find it a bit tricky to get everything done)
For a full description of what each of these roles does, and also what needs doing as a whole, please check out the awesome DF Events Pack, which contains everything you could ever want to know (I hope)
What DFs already has:
We already have one site, the Barton Camp from WW Bristol last year, which eveyone loved, even the owners so they want us back. We CURRENTLY do not plan to have another site in the north for 2 reasons; a) there was a phenominally low turnout last year so we don’t want to commit if it would be a disaster and b) this far in advance travel is really cheap, so we’re hoping that won’t deter northerners. If there is a lot of enthusiasm then another site will be looked for, so when you apply please state whether you would be interested in coordinating north, or south, or either.
How to apply:
Very simple, just email me (Michael) with your application form at firstname.lastname@example.org, containing:
- Who is coordination team
- What is your plan for themes, not too many details are necessary but to have an overarching feel for the event would be nice
- A 21 line sonnet describing your favourite form of topiary
- Where geographically you would like to coordinate
- Ignore number 3
Any questions then please also email me them, and I will try and answer as soon as I can, again at email@example.com, and/or look in the DF Events Pack.